cannabis and adhd

What is ADHD?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, better known as ADHD, is a controversial diagnosis. Marked by symptoms of distractibility, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, ADHD is a likely diagnosis with children who lack the ability to focus and behave at school, where parents, teachers and family members alike can confirm the symptoms create havoc and the inability to learn or complete tasks. Adults are more likely to be diagnosed with ADD that lacks the hyperactivity characteristic.  It causes great frustration to those suffering from the symptoms as an adult, for the organisation and focus, is necessary in a grown up the world., to work, maintain relationships, living standards and to meet financial obligations.

More than one 10 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD

It has found that more than one in ten children in the U.S. are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. This figure has grown exponentially in the last 50 years. Doctors have been treating the illness since 1957 with psychostimulants like Adderall, Dexamphetamine, Ritalin, and Concerta. These medications are molecularly indistinguishable from other serious drugs like methamphetamine and cocaine.
The brain’s shortage of dopamine: ADD / ADHD

One main physiological irregularity of ADD/ADHD is the brain’s shortage of dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter involved in processes such as memory and attention. Adderall and Ritalin are known to stimulate dopamine, which in turn promotes concentration, but the side effects and withdrawal symptoms are a deterrent for many.

Cannabis and ADD and ADHD: A Potential Treatment.

Dr. David Bearman has studied the relationship between the cannabinoid system and ADHD. He has discovered the therapeutic value of cannabinoids and their interaction with the brain’s dopamine management systems.

“Cannabis appears to treat ADD and ADHD by increasing the availability of dopamine,” Dr. Bearman wrote. “ Having the same therapeutic capabilities as stimulant medication, Cannabis utilises a different mechanism of action. So much time as patients get dosed appropriately and the treatment gets administered safely; Cannabinoids could potentially correct the dopamine deficiency seen in patients suffering ADD/ADHD. It has been discovered that in its raw form, cannabis can provide the patient the mental slowdown necessary to enable focus and concentration. This slowdown then makes arduous tasks more manageable, and mood swings diminish.

“The most accepted theory about ADHD rests on the fact that about 70 percent of the brain’s function is to regulate input to the other 30 percent,” Dr. Bearman says. “ the mind is overwhelmed with too much information coming too fast. In ADHD, the brain is cluttered with and too aware of all the nuances of a person’s daily experience.”

It is the belief in the medical industry that anecdotal evidence is not sufficient for doctors to recommend cannabis for ADD/ADHD. However researchers are optimistic about the potential cannabis is demonstrating.